Announcing the Florida Electronic Library’s New Training Program for Librarians!
October 09, 2009
The Florida Electronic Library—your gateway to superior electronic resources that offer access to comprehensive, accurate, and reliable information—is pleased to announce a new training program available to all Florida librarians.
The primary objective of this program is to provide librarians with innovative learning courses that educate users on the features, functionality, and overall value of the FEL product suite provided by Gale.
This learning program is intended to be highly flexible and interactive, addressing the immediate learning needs of the audience, and providing a comprehensive learning experience for all of the FEL’s electronic resources provided by Gale.
About the FEL Training Curriculum:
The Florida Electronic Library recognizes that its end users have two main training needs:
- Quick access to information in order to facilitate their immediate learning objectives, and
- A formal curriculum path to help them gain a deeper, richer understanding of the FEL product suite.
Based on these learning needs, the FEL training has been designed as a blended curriculum, providing a three-pronged approach to multimedia learning. The three components are:
- “On-Demand” instruction, which provides knowledge-based learning in a comprehensive, Web-based, self-study format. All courses will be available as interactive webcasts to be used at the participant’s leisure for self-guided instruction. Courses will offer a table of contents to allow users to jump ahead to sections where they have questions and move back to review as needed. If users require more information, they may move on to the deeper coverage of training materials in the webinar or on-site instruction modules.
- “Webinar” instruction, which provides a more tactical learning experience, using Web seminar technology that allows participants to interact with an instructor in real time. Web-based, instructor-led training will expand the reach of on-demand training tools. Sessions will allow for interaction with the instructor along with live demonstration of e-resources. A multidisciplinary overview will be provided, with an emphasis on how each of the e-resources practically applies to possible reference desk questions.
- “On-Site” learning, which consists of on-site, instructor-led training that will expand the reach of the on-demand and webinar training. These expanded courses will provide interactive, hands-on instruction with independent activity time. Questions and “How would I…?” situations are encouraged to customize the workshop to the needs of the participants.
The following courses have been identified as key subject areas for the initial launch of the FEL training program:
- The World of FEL/Gale Resources: A General Product Overview
- Homework Help: Using FEL Resources
- Patron Outreach: Creating Easy Access and Increasing Usage of FEL Resources
- A Healthy Perspective: Health Research Using FEL Resources
- FEL QuickStart: General and Academic OneFile Searches
- The Power of Web 2.0: Best Practices Using FEL Resources
- Getting Down to Business: Effective Use of FEL Business Resources
- Following the Trends: Understanding FEL Reports and Analysis Data
- Making It Personal: Customizing Your FEL Products
How to Register:
Interested in registering for training, or want to check out course descriptions? Simply go to Training Opportuninites, select the course you are interested in attending, and follow the registration prompts.
The first class, “The World of FEL,” will be offered Tuesday, Oct. 13th at 2:00 pm!! Register today!